A friend commented that they would never guess that I have depression and anxiety. That made me think about all the things I do to make sure I appear ‘normal’ – so that I can work and be with people on a part-time basis.
1. I don’t make myself get up as soon as I wake up.
2. I take my time to get dressed and put on my make up.
3. I go to work only three days per week, part-time. (I am lucky I can do this.)
4. I swim two to three times per week.
5. I do mindfulness meditation most days.
6. I surround myself with positive people, and avoid the negative ones.
7. I don’t go out to events in the evening and limit my daytime activities.
8. I spend lots of time in our apartment looking out at the view over to Mt Victoria.
9. I am a fan of Sims Freeplay, which takes up far too much of my time.
10. I cook good healthy food, especially breakfast and dinner.
11. I have a couple of small glasses of wine each evening.
12. I go to bed early.
This all feels like really hard work on most days and even though I make the effort I can only operate at no more than 50% capacity on any day.
The heavy dark blanket that covers me is hard to get out from under. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a journey and it will get better. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.